.........Home | cv | bio | What Was Esquire's Cocktail of the Week? ........... ... ...

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Quick notes for serious drinkers

Jeff "Beachbum" Berry, who wrote the two best tiki drink books yet published: "Beachbum Berry’s Grog Log" and "Intoxica," has finally launched his eponymous website. Given all of the awful Flash-animated color/font/graphic-packed tropical (and other) drink-oriented sites out there, Jeff’s is both a relief and a pleasure.

Since Berry actually plies his trade as a writer, the verbiage (and the humor) are a cut above. Since I am a committed fan of the lengths to which he goes to achieve his conception of perfectly balanced potions, I’ll note that his taste buds do not fail him in the rum review section either. My only complaint is that it is too short. Berry says "I just didn’t want to go on about all the rums I hated." I say…g’wan! We just like to read your writing.

The Bum recently released a third book as well, "The Taboo Table," which didn’t make quite the same media splash as the other two. This is because, while there are drink recipes in it, it’s really a tiki cookbook, a food preparation style cooks and non-cooks alike viscerally consider icky. Ya know what? It’s actually damned good, and he used those enviable gold-plated taste buds of his again to shore up the recipes - which end up being strangely inspiring. CoI disclosure: I wrote the cover blurb. But lookit…rumaki is everyone’s plausibly deniable indulgence. Er, OK - it’s mine.

In other news, I am to be a keynote speaker at the annual Modern Drunkards Convention - this year, in Modern Drunkard Magazine’s hometown of Denver, Colorado this coming Sunday. No driving. All venues involved in the 3 day event are within crawling distance; not that I plan to in any way compete with THOSE topers. I shall report the entire event as it gloriously transpires, dear readers, upon my return.

–Your Doctor.

No comments: