.........Home | bio | Longer | What is Esquire's Cocktail of the Week? | contact: joseph.mailander@gmail.com ........... ... ...

Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Drunken Botanist

This could be a vurrry important book, this book by one Amy Stewart of Eureka.  I don't know, I haven't read it.  But the press surrounding it is both dutifully reported and marvelously miniscule, a promising sign.  From the Eureka Times-Standard:
"The book [The Drunken Botanist] begins with plants that are actually used to make alcohol, including apples, grapes, sugar cane and barley, and then explores the many spices, herbs and fruits that flavor gin, liqueurs and other libations. The last section of the book is devoted to plants that a gardener might grow to mix, muddle and infuse into their own cocktails. Kirkus Reviews called it 'A rich compendium of botanical lore for cocktail lovers.'” 
Well, Kirkus Reviews are bought reviews, but so much the better in this day and age. But I do like the spirit of this spirits guide and hope the author comes to LA.  I'll offer her a tour of the cocktail botanicals I maintain in my own garden.


No comments: